Thursday, October 29, 2009

The secret to HAPPINESS #1




When I started this blog, I said that we’ll try to unravel the secret to Happiness. Though Happiness seems to be a conditional emotion, the Bible shows us that true happiness, as mentioned in the introductory article of the blog that we can master our own happiness. The question is: How is it possible?
I would say, it is not possible as a human; as a human born in sin. According to Paul’s letter to the Galations: “...the fruit of the Holy Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control...”
Therefore, joy or happiness is an outcome of the work of Holy Spirit in our lives. The purpose of discussing the New Testament with references from the Old Testament is to help understand that we can be saved and cleansed of our sins only by believing in the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the Cross; by believing that Jesus is the Christ, Saviour, Lord and God of our lives. And mind you, believing is believing through actions. When we give the control of lives in the hands of Jesus Christ, He gives us the Holy Spirit to guide us and help us. Do you feel that you are a unique being? Do you think that death is not an end but a bridge to eternal life? If yes, you are correct. God did not create mankind to die but to live forever. It was sin that brought in death and God wants to save us from the penalty, the power and the presence of sin. He has done his part and now all that we need to do is believe and have faith and let God guide us through His Holy Spirit.
I say this because I have experienced the joy of salvation and I know that He is working on me  to make me just like Himself and I have seen the power of true joy and happiness work in the lives of people. Here is a true testimony of God’s happiness:
My first cousin, who was some 7 years younger to me, passes away when she was 10 year old in 2004 due to medical negligence in the hospital. I was in my 11th grade then. We were very close to each other and her death was a shattering blow. It was the first time I saw the dead body of a loved one. I sat beside her throughout the night looking at her pale face and hoping that she would sit up and say “I wanted you to come home, so I did this” and then hug me close to her. But I was scared that if she did not sit up I would feel worse. Early in the morning, the next day, I saw what happiness and faith meant. I found my Uncle and Aunty sitting on either side of my cousin (she was their only daughter) and having their morning prayers just the way they had done while she was alive and the song they sang translates as “I will praise you Lord for all that you have done”.
There were tears but there were no complaints, no anger, no thought of revenge. There was praise in their lips and faith in their heart that God took away what was rightfully His to a better place in heaven. And praise God, about 2 years later, a child was born to them, who is exactly like the cousin I lost. The only difference is that she appears to have had a foretaste of heaven.
To read a poem that I wrote in memory of my cousin, visit www.amyimapoet.blogspot.com
The poem is: In Memory
(Write to me for any clarifications, questions, further explanations and prayer requests...)

No comments:

Post a Comment