Monday, March 15, 2010

I thought I could never love...

There was a loud thump at the door and I was too scared to even open my eyes. Then the noise started. I was so scared that I started crying. The awful noise outside made me sick. My dad was drunk again and I knew that he was beating up my mom. I wanted to protect my mom but I was too scared to even go out. I knew that my room was the only safe place and I was not ready to abandon it. But the noise became louder and louder and then I could hear my mom no more.
For a while, my I could hear nothing but the mad beating of my heart. And then I could not stop myself. I threw open my door and ran downstairs. I saw my mom lying in a heap and my dad beating her up with a thick stick. I ran and pushed my dad aside. For a while, I thought my mom was dead. But the next moment, a heavy blow landed on my head and I started feeling dizzy. I gathered all the strength I could and hit my dad with a metal flower vase. he fell down but I did not care. I dragged myself and my mom out of the house and kept walking till I dropped. And then I cried. I hated my dad with all the hatred I could muster and thought I could never love any man again. I hated all the liquor sellers and makers and all fathers and husbands. I spent the whole night with my mom (who eventually lost all her senses and was paralyzed for the rest of her life).
I didn't know what to do. The next morning, a missionary van saw me on the roadside and they took us with them. I started working in the mission house and met many kids like me who were victims of family violence. And then, the miracle happened. One girl told me that deep down I loved my father and I wanted him to be saved, so I should pray for him. I shouted at that girl and walked off. But she kept telling me about Christ's love and how it flows untamed; how life is in forgiving and looking forward to a heaven where you would love to have your family with you, and how prayer can work miracles.And she told me that she would pray for me.
I was moved that someone had time for me, that someone cared to pray for me and I started praying for my dad.
A couple of days before my mom died, I went to see my dad. I moment he saw me, he came running and hugged me. There were tears in his eyes and he kept asking for forgiveness. I found that he had quit drinking. I told him about mom's condition and he came with me to see mom. Now I am staying with my dad again. I have realized that prayer, love and forgiveness can make anything possible.
This is a testimony of a girl who had a bitter experience in her life. I read about this when I was in my 10th grade and I thought it was impossible to be so good, it was impossible to love when someone has hurt you so deeply. But with time, I realized that with man it is impossible but with God nothing is impossible. The love of Christ compels you to share His love and forgiveness. Forgiveness heals the forgiver more than the forgiven.
This lent, let Christ's love and forgiveness flow from you.
God bless you.

3 comments:

  1. mesmerising... for a second i was confused... anyway... forgiveness can be taken as weakness on ur part sometime so beware whom u forgive...

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautifully written...forgiveness can never be understood as weakness by anybody who actually knows what it is to forgive and be forgiven....forgiveness demands an enormous strength of will, it shows maturity and wisdom. it is a blessing to be able to truly forgive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i can soo relate to the story. it was as if sum1 was saying my story.
    i also experienced the power of forgiveness. d immense amount of love, joy and peace it brings. peace that is beyond human understanding. peace only that the Lord can give.

    ReplyDelete